Degallery has generously offered two benefits for VAS members: (1) Free entry for any member who wishes to sell at Degallery’s First Saturday Art Market. Go HERE for more info. (2) Free entry for their Open Studio with a Live Model, which happens once a month. Visit Events on the Degallery website to sign up. These are wonderful opportunities for our members!
When our Demo and Workshop Chair, Jaimie Ladysh, sent out a questionnaire to our members asking what kind of workshop they wanted, by far the answers were acrylic and texture! So Jaimie delivered!! This 2-day workshop, led by renown Houston acrylic artist, Christie Coker, is called “The Textured Landscape.” Learn more HERE!
Come visit our Member Show “Aqua Vita” at Degallery soon because our last day is October 3. Artists can pick up any unsold work on October 4 when Degallery is open. It is a great show. Come by and you might find art that speaks to you. We have 22 members showcasing 68 of their more recent art – including oil, acrylic, watercolor, pastel, mixed media, paper, photography, glass and fiber art. Come see the wide range of incredible art from our members!
The theme for the show is is water: the physical entity of water in all its forms, but you can also think of the symbolism of water. It can represent the change that we experience in our own lives, as we grow and mature. It can also represent the change that we see in the world around us, as the environment changes and evolves. Water is a reminder that change is a natural part of life. It is something that we cannot control, but it is something that we can embrace. Change can be scary, but it can also be exciting. It can be a time of new beginnings, new opportunities, and new challenges. Water is a powerful symbol of change, and it can help us to understand and embrace the changes that are happening around us.
The Visual Art Society of B-CS has been involved with Brazos Valley Gives for the last 4 years. You can visit our page at www.brazosvalleygives.org/Visual_Art_Society On the page we have an additional fundraiser page for the Aggieland Art Trail. All proceeds go toward all our community projects, including scholarships for art students. All donors giving at least $20 will be listed on our Sponsor webpage and on our Aggieland Art Trail brochure. Early giving starts TODAY, Sept 18. The actual 18 hour day of giving is Tuesday, October 17, 2023 5am – 11pm. It is a wonderful event for the community.
Brazos Valley Gives, an initiative of the Community Foundation of the Brazos Valley, is a month-long community giving effort that culminates in 18 hours of online giving on the 3rd Tuesday of October. Giving together as one community to raise money and awareness for local nonprofits in 7 Brazos Valley counties can do a great deal.
Brazos Valley Gives is a community day of giving that strengthens nonprofits, empowers donors, and builds community. The goal for 2023 Brazos Valley Gives is $1,250,000 with 165 participating nonprofit organizations. During 2022, donors rallied to raise $1,176,760 and donated 9,677 volunteer hours to support the good works of 161 nonprofit organizations. Since 2019, the Community Foundation’s Brazos Valley Gives Day has raised $3,268,788 for participating nonprofits in the 7-county region of the Brazos Valley.
This annual day of “giving where you live” is powered by the Community Foundation of the Brazos Valley, and all donations pass-thru directly to the donor’s charity or charities of choice.
As a life long lover of the arts, I studied art and dance in college. I taught art in College Station ISD and earned a PhD in Curriculum and Instruction at Texas A&M.I enjoy the problem solving and creativity in creating art. For several years I have focused on painting en plein aire. Spending time in nature, interpreting the outdoors is very rewarding.
Examples of my art:
Notes from Wendy —-
Thanks for stopping by the VAS website! Our new board is so excited about the upcoming year. I’m Wendy Keeney-Kennicutt, the new president and webmaster and you can read my bio on our new “Our Artists” tab. This is a perk for all our members to showcase themselves and their art. All members are invited to participate!
- We are sponsoring a 2-day acrylic workshop, The Textured Landscape, December 9–10 10am-3pm at Degallery. $175 for members and $195 for non-members – it’s a great deal. For more information and to register, click HERE. To become a member and save money in the long run, go HERE. We would love to meet you!
- The Call for Artists is up for two shows: (1) our January show at the Arts Council of the Brazos Valley, entitled “Resolutions: New Beginnings,” and (2) our spring judged show, “Art in Bloom.” For “Resolutions”, we encourage artists to explore the theme of new beginnings by thinking about the challenges, rewards and images of starting over, as well as the power of art to help us visualize our hopes and dreams for the future. This prompt is very open and subject to many different interpretations. For “Art in Bloom,” we celebrated the relationship between art and nature in all its forms. Visit the sites for more details!
- We brought back the popular “Wednesday Painters” for our members under a new name – “Art Together.” Our next get-together is Wednesday, 11/8 1-4pm. You can come and go as you please! Bring your art creating supplies, which includes cameras & computers, for an afternoon of making art and sharing ideas. I will also be there to photograph your work, if you want. For more info, click HERE.
- We are working with Destination Bryan and their Downtown Bryan Street & Art Fair 2024 on April 13, 2024 10am-6pm with reception on Friday evening. We are organizing a Plein Air event. We ran our first “Paint Out” in April 2023 with good success, so we are excited to continue. Learn more!
- Our meetings in the fall and spring will be the 2nd Monday of the month. Doors open at 5:30pm and meeting runs 6-7pm at Degallery. At our November 13th meeting, out speaker will be Dary Dega, the owner of Degallery and our show chair. Her presentation is “How to Price Artwork So It Actually Sells.” She is very knowledgeable about the local markets and of course, how to work with galleries. See more HERE!
- I’m in the process of updating our website, Aggieland Art Trail. So, if you have a suggestion for an art stop, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org The Aggieland Art Trail also has a public Facebook group, so stop by and join!
Thanks for reading “Wendy’s Notes.” Hope to hear from you soon.
Dec 9-10 10am – 3pm
This 2-Day Acrylic Workshop by Houston artist, Christie Coker, encourages experimentation as you explore the creation of a landscape by layering paint on a textured surface. Whether the result is Realism or Abstraction, let nature be your muse and texture be your guide.
Cost: $195.00 ($175.00 for VAS members) For students 22 and younger, there is a $20 discount using the code RBMUU6ZT.
For more info and to sign up, go HERE.
Everyone is invited to attend the reception for our 2023 Member Show “Aqua Vita” Reception, this coming Friday Sept 1 6-8pm at Degallery, 930 N Rosemary Dr, Bryan, TX 77802. We have 22 members showcasing 68 of their more recent art – including oil, acrylic, watercolor, pastel, mixed media, paper, photography, glass and fiber art. Come see the wide range of incredible art from our members! Great refreshments! Free and open to the public! The show runs through Tuesday, Oct 3.
Paint Out at the Downtown Bryan Street & Art Fair
The Second Annual Downtown Bryan Street & Art Fair Paint Out, sponsored by the Visual Art Society of Bryan-College Station and Destination Bryan, is an event open to all artists who wish to paint or draw the scenes of historic downtown Bryan in the lively atmosphere of the Art Fair! We just met with Destination Bryan and came up with great ideas! The details are still being worked out, so stay tuned!
Friday April 12 (4pm-7pm) Meet and Greet. More info coming.
Saturday April 13 (10am-4pm – with sales until 6pm)
- In the style of plein air, bring your own art supplies, easels, chairs, etc. and enjoy the Art Fair while painting the scenes of downtown Bryan! There will be goodie bags for artists and plenty of water!
- It is a FREE event for registered artists.
- Participating artists will have an opportunity to sell their artwork; the Visual Art Society B/CS will charge a 20% commission for handling sales and sales tax.
- More details to follow.
If you need more information or have questions, please contact Mindy Austin at email@example.com or call (979) 218-4418. She is an avid plein air painter herself and can answer any concerns or questions you may have.
Scroll down to find the entry form and pictures from Paint Out 2023! If you include your photo, a short bio and your website on the registration form, we will add your info to this website. We want to promote all participating artists.
Our wonderful sponsors:
Photos from our 2023 Paint Out:
From 2023’s Paint Out: