- Silver gelatin (black & white) photographic prints
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 979.255.8056
Although I was born in Birmingham, and grew up in small towns around northern Alabama, I have lived in Texas since 1997, and was on the faculty of Texas A&M University for nearly 25 years before retiring.
As a photographer, I am largely self-taught. I did take an art photography class in college that taught the basics of black and white film photography (no digital in those days!). Today, my photographic process remains traditional and purposely retro; from capturing images on black and white films in sizes from 35mm and 2 ¼ x 2 ¼, to 4×5 inches (my favorite!), developing the film in a wet darkroom, to printing the images on silver gelatin papers from the enlarged negatives. Each print is hand processed according to the Ilford archival sequence, toned in selenium, and mounted using acid-free materials for longevity.
My photography reflects a wide range of interests, including historic sacred architecture, landscapes and nature, abstracts, and still life. With my photographs, I try to attract viewers’ interest by revealing the “spirit of place,” as well as the interplay of light and shadow. I also try to show through my images that beauty, serenity, and tranquility are to be found all around us. In doing so, my purpose is to highlight overlooked details, pique viewers’ curiosity, and encourage them to see and experience familiar places anew.
- Fun facts:
- My doctorate in History was directly inspired by my photography of San Antonio’s Spanish missions.
- Although largely self-taught, I have recently participated in workshops led by Alan Ross, a former assistant to the renowned artist, Ansel Adams.
- Artists who have influenced or inspired my work include: Ansel Adams, Alan Ross, Edward Weston, Minor White, and M. C. Escher.
- While working in my darkroom, I am usually listening to music by a wide variety of artists including: the Allman Brothers, Dave Brubeck, Jethro Tull, Kitaro, Rush, Miles Davis, B. B. King, Willie Nelson, Shadowfax, Eric Clapton, J. S. Bach, Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov, and ZZ Top.
- Favorite art/photographic-related quote: “One should not only photograph things for what they are, but for what else they are.” – Minor White.
Examples of my art: